Peter has always had a social conscience undertaking numerous pro bono engagements in the past including school governorships. He is a keen and astute supporter of the enterprise culture, both private sector as well as not for profit. He mentors and advises a number of entrepreneurs as well as investing himself.
Peter has recently completed his 6 year term as an elected Alderman in the City of London (a voluntary position) for the Ward of Aldgate and was, inter alia, the inaugural Chairman of the City’s £20m Social Investment Fund. Peter sat on a number of committees within the City of London Corporation, including the Investment and Property Committees which have combined assets of over £7bn. In addition, he holds and has held, a number of Trustee and Patronal appointments in both the Ward of Aldgate and London.
Peter’s current voluntary appointments include:
- ABF – The Soldiers Charity – Member of the Finance Committee (2015 – current). The Army’s charity with some £70m of assets.
- Justice of the Peace – Magistrate (2012 – current) – City of London Bench and now on the supplemental list.
- Sea Change Sailing Trust – Appeal Patron, The Trust is in the process of raising funds to finalising the building of a Thames Barge with some £500,000 out of £600,000 for ‘the provision of action-centred learning and seamanship training to disadvantaged and socially excluded young people.
- The Worshipful Company of Woolmen – Master (2016/17). Master of this ancient Livery Company which amongst other things organises the Annual Sheep Drive across London Bridge. Peter originated the City Wool Fair at Monument. The Company will donate in excess of £80,000 to charity this year.
- The Guild of Entrepreneurs – Upper Warden and Founding Freeman. (2014 – current). Helped to found this dynamic and inclusive new Guild which is probably the most diverse and inclusive Guild in the City. Subject to elections, I will be Master in November 2018
- The Woolmen’s Charitable Trust – Trustee (2016 -current)
- The Guild of Entrepreneurs Charitable Trust – Trustee (2016 – current)
- Wensleydale Longwool Sheep Breeders Association – Hon Vice President (Sep 17 – current).
Peter’s previous voluntary and pro bono appointments include:
- City of London Corporation – Alderman (Apr 2012 – current). Currently serving on the following committees:
- Social Investment Board – Chairman
- Property Investment Board – Member
- Financial Investment Board – Member
- Investment Committee- Member
- Emanuel Hospital Charity Trust – Member
- Alderman & Magistracy sub committee – Member
- The Honourable Artillery Company (HAC) – Honorary Court Member
- Aldgate Community Events – Patron and Trustee (Feb 2017 – current)
- HM Government’s Advisory Group on Social Investment and Retail Participation – Member (Jan 2017 – current). The Advisory Group as produced a major report to Government identifying 53 issues to take forward.
- The Lord Mayors Big Curry Lunch Committee – Member (2014 – current). A committee to raise funds for ABF – The Solders Charity, by an annual high profile curry lunch.
- National Army Museum’s Waterloo Legacy Committee – (2015 – 2017). A charity committee founded by Peter under the auspices of NAM in order to raise funds for the Waterloo Gallery. To date some £60,000 raised.
- Project Merlin Business Finance Round Table – Member (2010 – 2016)
- The Sheriffs Ball Committee 2016 – Member (2015 – 2016). A committee which organised the fund raising ball for the Lord Mayors Appeal – some 400 people attended and raised £….
- UKTI – Catalyst member. (2014 – 2015) The Catalysts are recognised businesses leaders that were available to assist the Government with specific projects.
- UKTI – Advisor to the Financial Services Division (2014 – 2016). Tasked with visiting Brazil, Mexico, Peru and Colombia and writing reports on ‘The Financial and Business Services opportunities’ in each country. I was also tasked with writing a report on ‘How to enhance the quality and quantity of the Lord Mayors Overseas Business Delegations’.
- Waterloo 200 Banquet Committee – Chairman (2013 – 2015). Originated the concept and led a committee that executed a ‘State’ Banquet for 640 people, including, The Duke of Kent, The Duke of Wellington, The Taoiseach of Ireland, The Lord mayor and Sheriffs, 9 Ambassadors, The Marshall of the Royal Air Force, Black Rod, 10 general and Admirals plus a number of descendants of the Waterloo generals. Raising over £40,000 for several charities.
- Waterloo St Pauls Committee – member (2013 – 2015). Part of the team which originated and executed the National Service of Remembrance at St Pauls Cathedral with numerous Royal attendees.
- City of London Corporation – Port Health & Environmental Services Committee – Member (2015 – 2017)
- City of London Corporation – Planning & Transportation Committee – Member (2016 – 2017)
- City of London Corporation – Freedoms Nominations Committee – Member (2015 – 2017). The Committee is responsible for oversight of all nominations for the Freedom of the City.
- City of London Corporation – Finance Committee – Member (2013 – 2015). A Grand committee responsible for oversight of all financial matters.
- City of London Corporation – City Bridge Trust – Member (2012 – 2014). The committee responsible for the disbursement of grants of some £1.5m per month
- City of London Corporation – Freemans School (2013 – 2015) – Governor.
- Fine Gail, Ireland – Member of the London Policy Unit. (2009 – 2011)
- Worthing High School, Sussex – Local Education Authority Representative Governor (1998 – 2003)
- Davison High School, Sussex – Parent Governor (1996 – 1999)